Hyperion Press, 2008. 64 pages. Tr. $8.99. ISBN 978-1-4231-1347-8.
Mo Willems’ beloved Piggie and Gerald are back and eager to play outside. Except that it is raining. Disappointed, Piggie frets about what to do. When Gerald timidly suggests a way that they can still have fun, the day is saved, proving “elephants make the best friends!”
This Elephant and Piggie Book is perfect for beginning readers who are building confidence in their new skills. The pair is delightfully expressive in the tradition of emergent reader texts from Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman.
Awards won by this item
- Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, 2009
- Notable Children’s Book: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/notalists/ncb/ncbpastlists/2009ncblist.cfm
- Mo Willems: http://www.mowillems.com/
Author/Illustrator biography and interviews
- “Can you give me your biography?”: http://mowillemsfaq.blogspot.com/2007/10/q-can-you-give-me-your-biography.html
- Mo Willems Interviews: http://mowillemsdoodles.blogspot.com/search/label/Interview-y%20stuff
- Mo Willems wins Geisel Award for “Are You Ready to Play Outside?”: http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pressreleases2009/january2009/ymageisel.cfm
Subjects/themes that could be used in programming
- Rainy day
- Emergent reader titles
- All Elephant and Piggie titles listed here: http://www.pigeonpresents.com/books.aspx
Programming Ideas and/or lesson plans